The Slap is an Australian television drama series. It was first broadcast on ABC1 from 6 October to 24 November 2011. The series is based on The Slap, a 2008 multi-award winning novel by Australian author Christos Tsiolkas, which explores what happens when a man slaps a child, who is not related to him, at a suburban barbecue.
Filmed in Melbourne, Victoria, the series was produced by Matchbox Pictures’ Tony Ayres (Nowhere Boys), Helen Bowden and Michael McMahon, with Penny Chapman serving as executive producer. The directors; Jessica Hobbs, Matthew Saville, Tony Ayres and Robert Connolly, directed two episodes each. The writing team included Emily Ballou, Alice Bell, Brendan Cowell, Kris Mrksa and Cate Shortland.
The series was aired on DirecTV’s Audience Network in 2012, and an American adaptation of the series, also starring Melissa George, premiered on NBC on 12 February 2015.
- Hector (Jonathan LaPaglia, Seven Days, The District) Hector seems to have it all. He is handsome, financially secure, and married to the beautiful Aisha; they have two healthy children, Adam and Melissa. From the outside it looks like his doting Greek parents have handed him everything on a plate, but under this ideal façade lies Hector’s dangerous secret.
- Anouk (Essie Davis, Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries) At 41, Anouk feels the inevitability of getting older but does not want to grow up. She writes for a TV soap, dreams of writing a novel, and is dating a much-younger (and far less mature) man.
- Harry (Alex Dimitriades, The Principal) Harry is a self-made man, a mechanic with his own business. He has the perfect wife, the perfect child, the perfect house by the beach…but now all of that is being threatened by a single slap. He’d done it without thinking, although in his opinion, the kid deserved it.
- Connie (Sophie Lowe, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, The Returned, The Beautiful Lie) Connie is a 17-year-old orphan who lives with her Aunt Tasha and works for Aisha. She is completing her final year of high school, but has many other things on her mind. Young and curious, she is still working out many things about life. Her best friend is Richie.
- Rosie (Melissa George, Home and Away, Grey’s Anatomy,The Good Wife, Heartbeat) When Rosie first became a mother she had many conflicting feelings about it and took much time to adjust to the massive changes, but now her commitment to Hugo is absolute. She knows that even if she fails at everything else, at least Hugo will grow up knowing how much he is loved.
- Manolis (Lex Marinos, Kingswood Country) Manolis, Hector’s father, came to Australia from Greece many years ago, as a young man full of hope and excited about the prospect of life in a new country. Now he is a man approaching the end of his life, watching his old friends die around him, and not understanding the younger generation’s greed and selfishness.
- Aisha (Sophie Okonedo, Tsunami: The Aftermath, The Governor, Father & Son) Aisha is married to Hector; her strength and resilience hold her family together. She is also a successful professional woman with her own veterinary business. She enters her forties assailed by doubts about her marriage and future.
- Richie (Blake Davis) Richie is Connie’s best friend at school; like her, he is trying to work out his identity, beliefs, and boundaries. What he wishes most is that the world was a simple, happy place where everyone just got along.