The Odd Couple (2015)
The Odd Couple is an American multi-camera television sitcom that aired on CBS from February 19, 2015, to January 30, 2017. This show stars Matthew Perry (also developing and executive producing the series) as the slovenly Oscar Madison and Thomas Lennon as the obsessively-tidy Felix Unger. Perry and Lennon previously worked together on the film 17 Again. The show was announced in December 2013 and was picked up by CBS as a midseason offering for the 2014–15 season.
On May 16, 2016, CBS renewed the show for a third season of 13 episodes, which premiered on October 17, 2016, and concluded on January 30, 2017. The series was formally canceled on May 15, 2017.
Felix Unger and Oscar Madison meet at college in the late 1980s, and fate puts them together as roommates: while Felix is extremely neurotic and fussy in contrast to the slovenly and easy-going Oscar, they both become friends quickly. They eventually marry two women very different from themselves (Felix gets hitched to the calm but feisty Ashley, and Oscar settles down with the insecure Gaby).
Years later, Felix, now a neat-freak news writer and photographer, is kicked out by Ashley after twenty years of marriage (having spent eight of them in marriage counseling, with Felix going alone for the last two years) and moves in with Oscar, now a sports talk show host, whose ex-wife Gaby has left him because he was a thoughtless slob.
Felix and Oscar attempt to date Casey and Emily, two sisters who are roommates in the same building, and who both have recently exited their own unhealthy relationships. Felix is pretty insecure as he still has feelings for Ashley, which contrasts with Oscar who claims to be better off away from his ex. However, Oscar later confesses to Felix that he is not over Gaby.
Oscar holds poker games regularly, with two of the players being Teddy, his agent, and Roy, one of his best friends.
Cast and characters
- Matthew Perry (Go On, Friends, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip) as Oscar Madison: a sportswriter and sports talk radio personality. He is somewhat lazy and his apartment is usually a mess. Oscar and Felix clash immediately when Felix moves in and insists they keep the apartment clean and organized. Oscar runs a sports radio show from his apartment with his assistant Dani. He is initially a womanizer, having many one night stands until meeting Charlotte in Season 2.
- Thomas Lennon (Another Period, Reno 911!) as Felix Unger: a professional photographer, Felix is a clean freak. He and Oscar clash with their different personalities. Felix also teaches yoga part-time. Felix and his wife Ashley begin a separation but later Ashley files for divorce. It is not until he starts a relationship with Emily that Felix can truly move on from Ashley.
- Yvette Nicole Brown (Community, The New Edition Story) as Danielle “Dani” Duncan: Oscar’s assistant on his radio show who later becomes the series’ producer. She has a very strong personality and often speaks her mind. Dani and Emily begin to hang out and she encourages Emily to show the true feelings she has for Felix. Despite her useful knowledge of dating, Dani is chronically unsuccessful in her own dating life, and even seeks help from Oscar and Felix to find her the perfect date.
- Lindsay Sloane (Playing House, Weeds, Sabrina the Teenage Witch) as Emily: the upstairs neighbor who is attracted to Felix. Emily works at the local bar but has a jewelry business that is her true passion. She is often down on herself and has low self-esteem when it comes to dating and her career.
- Wendell Pierce (The Wire, Suits, Ray Donovan, Treme, The Michael J. Fox Show) as Teddy: Oscar’s agent and friend. Teddy continually finds Oscar work, often encouraging Oscar to do jobs he does not want to do for the sake of publicity. Teddy has a successful marriage, but also mentions that his wife can be domineering.
- Leslie Bibb (Nobodies, ER, Popular, The League) as Casey: Emily’s sister who is a professional model. She has a brief fling with Oscar but later tells him that she wants to stay friends. Casey also sets up Emily on a date with Felix following his separation.
- Dave Foley (Dr. Ken, The Middle, Hot in Cleveland) as Roy: Oscar’s friend who hangs out in the apartment and plays softball with Oscar. He is often overlooked by Murph, even though they play next to each other in the outfield. Murph also can’t remember Roy’s name, which is a running gag on the series.
- Lauren Graham (Gilmore Girls) as Gaby: Oscar’s ex-wife. She makes an appearance during the first-season finale when she and Oscar are audited by the IRS because of a comment Felix made during a meeting with an IRS agent. Oscar and Gaby get back together for a one-night stand, but Oscar wants to take things slow.
- Geoff Stults (Grace and Frankie, 7th Heaven, The Finder, Enlisted) as Marcus “Murph” Murphy: Oscar’s friend who is a former New York Mets player. He is a womanizer and amateur poet who appears to be absent-minded and often cannot remember people’s names. Emily thinks he has a crush on her, but it turned out that Murph only wanted to buy Emily’s jewelry for another woman.
- Christine Woods (Go On, Hello Ladies, About a Boy, The Walking Dead) as Ashley: Felix’s estranged wife. She announced that she was separating from Felix, and later on in the first season she files for divorce. She begins dating guys which makes Felix jealous.
- Teri Hatcher (Desperate Housewives, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, Seinfeld) as Charlotte: a smart, successful single mother who lives in the building. Although she and Oscar initially clash when he dates her young nanny, she becomes Oscar’s new love interest beginning in the second season. She is divorced and has one child.
- Sheryl Underwood (The Bold and the Beautiful) as Diane: Teddy’s wife. She is mentioned throughout the first season but makes her first appearance in the second season. She appears to be sarcastic and controlling at times and often has an attitude towards people.