The Last Man on Earth
The Last Man on Earth is an American post-apocalyptic comedy television series created by and starring Will Forte (30 Rock, Conan). The series premiered on the American broadcast network Fox on March 1, 2015. The pilot episode was written by Forte and directed by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (How I Met Your Mother, Brooklyn Nine Nine).
The year is 2020, and Phil Miller (Will Forte) is the only human left on Earth after a deadly virus swept the planet. Previously an average man who loved his family and hated his job, Phil searches the country in his RV for other survivors. After a long journey and returning to his hometown of Tucson, Arizona, Phil believes that he is almost certainly Earth’s last surviving human. Just before he commits suicide out of loneliness and a desire for a female companion, his wish comes true, meeting a woman named Carol (Kristen Schaal, Wilfred), but he soon finds that, while he is not the only human left on Earth, he is the only “man” left on Earth.
- Will Forte (30 Rock) as Philip Tandy “Phil” Miller, who is living on Earth after a virus wiped out nearly the entire population in 2019, believing he is the last person left. He lives in his hometown of Tucson, Arizona, having already searched North America for signs of other living people. Out of loneliness, he talks to various sports balls on which he has drawn faces and adopted as “buddies.” He paints “Alive in Tucson” on billboards during his trip in the hope that others might see the message. Forte describes him as “a selfish person who sometimes borders on being a flat-out sociopath”.
- Kristen Schaal (Flight of the Conchords, 30 Rock) as Carol Andrew Pilbasian, an eccentric woman from Delaware who sees Phil’s “Alive in Tucson” sign and travels to Tucson. She pressures Phil to marry her so they can work towards repopulating the Earth with “legitimate” children. Carol is shown to be compassionate and is good friends with Melissa and Todd but can hold grudges.
- January Jones (Mad Men) as Melissa Chartres, a former real estate agent who meets Phil and Carol after they crash their pickup truck into her limousine. Like Carol, she has seen the original Phil’s “Alive in Tucson” sign and travels to Tucson. Phil is initially very attracted to her and frequently vies for her affection, despite the fact that he has just married Carol and Melissa does not like or trust him. She begins a romantic relationship with Todd after he joins the group.
- Mel Rodriguez (Better Call Saul, Getting On) as Todd. While on his way to Mexico, Todd spots some fireworks set off by Phil and is able to find him and the rest of the group. Kind and selfless, Todd’s nature leads to him becoming the most likable member of the group, much to Phil’s increasing annoyance. He and Melissa become very close and begin a romantic relationship shortly after they meet.
- Cleopatra Coleman (Neighbors) as Erica, an Australian woman and self-described “political nerd”. After the outbreak of the virus, she met Gail at the White House, and the two became traveling companions. They later discover Phil after spotting a fire he started. After Phil and Carol divorce, Erica and Gail move in with the rest of the survivors. Erica later becomes pregnant with Phil II’s child, but becomes upset with him when he openly flirts with Carol and decides that she does not want him involved with their child’s life.
- Mary Steenburgen (Curb Your Enthusiasm, Joan of Arcadia, Togetherness, Orange is The New Black) as Gail Klosterman (recurring season 1; starring season 2), a chef and former restaurant owner from North Carolina. After the outbreak of the virus, she met another woman named Erica, and the two became traveling companions. Gail mentions having had a husband but does not reveal what happened to him.