The Grinder is an American single-camera legal comedy television series created by Jarrad Paul (Monk, The Singles Table) and Andrew Mogel (Allen Gregory). The show was picked up to series by Fox on May 8, 2015 and premiered on September 29, 2015. On October 15, 2015, Fox ordered an additional six scripts for the first season, potentially increasing the season order to 19 episodes. On October 27, 2015, Fox ordered a full season of 22 episodes for the first season.
On May 12, 2016, The Grinder was cancelled by Fox.
The series follows television actor Dean Sanderson, Jr. (Rob Lowe), who returns to his hometown of Boise, Idaho after his long-running television series, The Grinder, ends. Though Dean is not a lawyer, he believes that his experience playing one on television makes him qualified to practice law. He decides to join his family’s law firm, Sanderson & Yao, much to the chagrin of his younger brother Stewart (Fred Savage), who is a real-life lawyer.
- Rob Lowe (Parks and Recreation) as Dean Sanderson, Jr., an actor who played the role of attorney Mitch Grinder on the long-running TV show, The Grinder.
- Fred Savage (The Wonder Years, Working, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, 2 Broke Girls) as Stewart Sanderson, Dean’s brother who is a real-life attorney.
- Mary Elizabeth Ellis (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) as Debbie Sanderson, Stewart’s wife.
- William Devane (24, Crumbs) as Dean Sanderson, Sr., Dean and Stewart’s father and head of the law firm.
- Natalie Morales (White Collar, Parks and Recreation, Trophy Wife) as Claire Lacoste, a new associate in the Sanderson & Yao law firm who is resistant to Dean’s romantic advances.
- Hana Hayes as Lizzie Sanderson, Stewart and Debbie’s 15-year-old daughter.
- Connor Kalopsis as Ethan Sanderson, Stewart and Debbie’s 13-year-old son.
- Steve Little (Fuck Off Haters) as Todd, an attorney of questionable skill who works at Sanderson & Yao, and is also a huge fan of Dean’s.
- John Owen Lowe as Joel Zadack, Lizzie’s boyfriend, they eventually break up after becoming more comfortable hanging out with her family.
- Jason Alexander as Cliff Bemis, the creator and head writer for The Grinder TV show, whose constant disagreements with Dean led to Dean leaving the show.
- Timothy Olyphant (Deadwood, Justified) as a fictionalized version of himself, who assumes the starring role of Rake Grinder on The Grinder: New Orleans after convincing Dean to quit the show.
- Maya Rudolph (Up All Night) as Jillian, Stewart and Dean’s therapist, who later becomes Dean’s girlfriend, much to Stewart’s chagrin.
- Kenny Lucas (Lady Dynamite, Lucas Bros Moving Co) as Cory Manler, a former Sanderson & Yao client who sues the firm for malpractice.