Royal Pains is an American television drama series that premiered on the USA Network on June 4, 2009. The series is based in part on actual concierge medicine practices of independent doctors and companies. The cast of the show includes Mark Feuerstein, Paulo Costanzo, Jill Flint, Reshma Shetty, Brooke D’Orsay, Ben Shenkman, and Campbell Scott.
In November 2014, the network renewed the series for seasons 7 and 8, with each season consisting of eight episodes. The seventh season premiered on June 2, 2015. The eighth season started airing on May 18, 2016, and ended on July 6, 2016. July 6, 2016 marked the end of the Royal Pains series.
The series follows Hank Lawson, a young emergency room doctor, who after being wrongly blamed for an important patient’s death, moves to the Hamptons and becomes a reluctant “doctor for hire” to the rich and famous. When the administrator of the local hospital asks him to treat the town’s less fortunate, he finds himself walking the line between doing well for himself and doing good for others.
Cast and characters
- Mark Feuerstein (Fired Up, Nurse Jackie, Good Morning Miami, The West Wing) as Dr. Henry “Hank” Lawson, a formerly successful New York E.R. doctor, but was dismissed from his job after a wealthy hospital benefactor died in his care. When he saves someone’s life during a trip to the Hamptons, he accepts an offer from Boris, a German nobleman, to remain as a “concierge doctor” in the resort community. He usually attends to wealthy clientele, but also others in need of care and often without the means to pay. According to the episode “Keeping the Faith”, he and his brother are Jewish.
- Paulo Costanzo (Joey) as Evan Roth Lawson, Hank’s younger brother. He is an accountant and self-appointed CFO of HankMed. Evan’s job is to promote the HankMed business, at times using strategies that Hank finds inappropriate or too commercial.
- Jill Flint (The Good Wife, The Night Shift) as Jill Casey (seasons 1–4; guest, season 8), Hank’s on again/off again girlfriend and an administrator at Hamptons Heritage, the local hospital.
- Reshma Shetty (Happyish, Pure Genius) as Divya Katdare, Hank’s physician assistant. She joins the team early and is invaluable to Hank.
- Brooke D’Orsay (Happy Hour, Two and a Half Men) as Paige Lawson (seasons 4–8; recurring, seasons 2–3), Evan’s wife. Paige is the daughter of a wealthy, conservative former military officer with political aspirations who does not think Evan is good enough for his daughter.
- Campbell Scott (Damages, Six Degrees) as Boris Kuester von Jurgens-Ratenicz (seasons 4-5; recurring, seasons 1–3, 6-8), a wealthy and titled German businessman who offers Hank and Evan his guest house, and is Hank’s first client.
- Ben Shenkman (Canterbury’s Law, Damages) as Dr. Jeremiah Sacani (season 5–8; recurring, season 4), was hired by Evan to be Hank’s replacement during Evan and Hank’s temporary halt to their business partnership; Sacani stayed on when Hank and Evan made peace.
- Henry Winkler (Hank Zipzer, Children’s Hospital, Parks and Recreation, Arrested Development) as Eddie R. Lawson, Hank and Evan’s loving, ne’er-do-well father who left the boys when they were young.
- Anastasia Griffith (Once Upon A Time, Damages) as Dr. Emily Peck, a self-assured rival doctor who works with (and becomes briefly involved with) Hank.
- Tom Cavanagh (The Flash, The Following, Scrubs) as Jack O’Malley, a pro golfer who was featured in the season-2 episode “Mulligan” and later became a recurring character in season 3, as his friendship with Hank became more pronounced.
- Kyle Howard (My Boys, Your Family or Mine) as Dr. Paul Van Dyke (nicknamed “V.D.”), a staff doctor at Hampton’s Heritage; Divya first meets him while moonlighting at the hospital.
- Anna George (New Girl) as Rubina Katdare, Divya’s reserved and loyal mother.
- Ajay Mehta (The Mindy Project, Anger Management, 24) as Devesh Katdare, Divya’s strict and straight-laced father. He practically disowns Divya when she cancels her wedding with Raj (Rupak Ginn), but they reconcile once she becomes his nurse after he suffers a heart attack.