Hannibal is an American psychological thriller–horror television series developed by Bryan Fuller (Dead Like Me) for NBC. The series is based on characters and elements appearing in the novel Red Dragon by Thomas Harris and focuses on the budding relationship between FBI special investigator Will Graham and Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a forensic psychiatrist destined to become Graham’s most cunning enemy.
The series received a 13-episode order for its first season and, unlike most U.S. network shows, all future seasons will feature 13 episodes. David Slade executive produced and directed the first episode. The series premiered on NBC on April 4, 2013.
The main cast includes:
- Hugh Dancy (The Big C) as Will Graham, a gifted criminal profiler and hunter of serial killers. He visualizes himself committing the murders he investigates to understand the killers’ behaviors; throughout the series, Graham’s involvement with the investigations takes a toll on his psyche.
- Mads Mikkelsen (Rejseholdet) as Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a brilliant forensic psychiatrist, cannibalistic serial killer, and culinarian; Lecter develops a keen interest in Graham.
- Caroline Dhavernas (Wonderfalls) as Dr. Alana Bloom, a professor of psychiatry, and consultant profiler for the FBI, who has professional relationships with both Graham and Lecter.
- Laurence Fishburne (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation) as Special Agent-in-Charge Jack Crawford, head of Behavioral Sciences at the FBI and Graham’s boss.
- Hettienne Park as Special Agent Beverly Katz, a crime scene investigator specializing in fiber analysis.
- Scott Thompson (Wingin’ It) as Special Agent Dr. Jimmy Price, a crime scene investigator specializing in latent fingerprints.
- Aaron Abrams (Rookie Blue) as Special Agent Brian Zeller, a crime scene investigator.