Gotham is an American crime television series developed by Bruno Heller (Rome, The Mentalist), based on characters appearing in and published by DC Comics in their Batman franchise, primarily those of Detective James Gordon and Bruce Wayne. The series stars Ben McKenzie (The O.C., Southland) as the young Gordon. Heller is the executive producer along with Danny Cannon (Nikita), who also directed the pilot. Gotham received a series order from Fox on May 5, 2014, and premiered on September 22, 2014.
As originally conceived, the series would have served as a straightforward story of Gordon’s early days on the Gotham City police force. The idea evolved not only to include the Bruce Wayne character, but will also tell the origin stories of several Batman villains, including Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, Joker, Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, Hugo Strange, Harvey Dent, Mr. Freeze and Victor Zsasz.
A new recruit in Captain Sarah Essen’s Gotham City Police Department named Detective James Gordon is paired with Harvey Bullock to solve one of Gotham’s highest-profile cases: the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne. During his investigation, Gordon meets the Waynes’ son Bruce, now in the care of his butler Alfred Pennyworth, which further compels Gordon to catch the mysterious killer. Along the way, Gordon must confront mobstress Fish Mooney, the mafia led by Carmine Falcone and the crime family led by Sal Maroni as well as many of Gotham’s future villains such as Selina Kyle, Edward Nygma, and Oswald Cobblepot. Eventually, Gordon is forced to form an unlikely friendship with Wayne, one that will help shape the boy’s future in his destiny of becoming a crusader.
- Ben McKenzie as James Gordon, a detective at Gotham City Police Department who works to find the man who killed Bruce Wayne’s parents and get rid of the corruption at the Gotham City Police Department.
- Donal Logue (Terriers) as Harvey Bullock, Gordon’s partner, a corrupt and brutish detective, secretly allied with Carmine Falcone.
- David Mazouz (Touch) as Bruce Wayne, the son of Thomas and Martha Wayne, who is now under the care of Alfred Pennyworth.
- Zabryna Guevara (3 lbs) as Sarah Essen, the Captain of the Gotham City Police Department homicide squad and the boss of James Gordon and Harvey Bullock.
- Sean Pertwee (Elementary) as Alfred Pennyworth, the butler of Bruce Wayne who raises him after the murders of Thomas and Martha Wayne. He has been worried at Bruce’s ways of overcoming fear.
- Robin Lord Taylor (The Walking Dead) as Oswald “Penguin” Cobblepot, an up-and-coming mobster in Fish Mooney’s gang who is nicknamed “Penguin” by his thugs; has a lethal falling out with Mooney after he is discovered to be police informant, as well as one to Don Falcone. Falcone orders a hit on him, but he escapes with the help of Gordon, and later aligns himself with Don Salvatore Maroni.
- Erin Richards (Misfits) as Barbara Kean, James Gordon’s fiancée.
- Camren Bicondova as Selina “Cat” Kyle, a young thief with a fascination with cats who witnesses the murder of Bruce Wayne’s parents. Since that incident, Kyle has been lingering around the borders of Wayne Manor.
- Cory Michael Smith (Olive Kitteridge) as Edward Nygma, a coroner and forensics operative who works for the Gotham City Police Department and often presents his information in riddles.
- Jada Pinkett Smith (A Different World, Hawthorne) as Fish Mooney, a mobstress, under Don Carmine Falcone, whom she intends to make a move against. She is able to operate Gotham’s red light district with ease, despite the heavy presence of the Italian Mafia. She has a good relationship with the ethically challenged Detective Bullock who often goes to her for information.
- Victoria Cartagena (The Bedford Diaries) as Renee Montoya, a detective in the Major Crimes Unit of the Gotham City Police Department. She was revealed to have had a relationship with Barbara Kean.
- Andrew Stewart-Jones as Crispus Allen, a detective in the Major Crimes Unit of the Gotham City Police Department.
- John Doman (The Wire) as Carmine Falcone, a Mafia Don and businessman who is Fish Mooney’s superior and has specific members of both the Gotham City government and the Gotham City Police Department on his payroll. However, his hold on Gotham is slipping and rivals such as the Maroni family and his inferiors like Fish Mooney plan to move against him.