Family Tree is a documentary-style television comedy created by Christopher Guest and Jim Piddock (Friends, Dollhouse). The series premiered on May 12, 2013, on the American pay television network HBO, and appeared on the British channel BBC Two in July 2013. On January 23, 2014, it was announced that HBO had canceled the series.
- And here’s the Chadwick Family:
- Tom Chadwick (Chris O’Dowd, The IT Crowd), a young man investigating his lineage.
- Bea Chadwick/Monkey (Nina Conti, Black Books), Tom’s sister who uses a hand puppet named “Monk” to communicate her feelings after an embarrassing incident with a puffin in her childhood
- Keith Chadwick (Michael McKean, Dream On), Tom’s father who loves old British situation comedies
- Luba Chadwick (Lisa Palfrey, Casualty), Keith’s Moldovan wife who is extremely eccentric
- David Chadwick (Christopher Guest, SpongeBob SquarePants), one of Tom’s relatives from North Carolina. He claims to have a vestigial tail (which is hereditary). David had a wife who disappeared under mysterious circumstances three years prior to the events of the series. Christopher Guest also plays Phineas Chadwick, David’s grandfather who was a musician, art collector, actor and baseball player.
- Dr. Al Chadwick (Ed Begley Jr., Arrested Development, Six Feet Under, St. Elsewhere), Tom’s third uncle. He lives in Glendale, California with his wife Kitty. He is a podiatrist (his father’s profession also) and is trained in Native American survival tactics. He and his wife love R&B music. He is obsessed with the fact that Charles Chadwick left America just two days after Abraham Lincoln’s assassination and is a paranoid conspiracy theorist. Also appears to be wearing a Masonic ring–which would normally indicate a Masonic tie of some sort.
- Kitty Chadwick (Carrie Aizley), Al’s wife, whom he met when he contacted her from a phone number on a public toilet cubicle. She is dimwitted and ignorant about English culture. She is the inventor of a series of flavored enemas.