Casual is an American television comedy series that premiered on October 7, 2015 on Hulu. Created by Zander Lehmann (The Shannara Chronicles) and directed by Jason Reitman (The Office), the series centers on Valerie (Michaela Watkins, Transparent), a newly divorced single mother living with her brother Alex (Tommy Dewey, The Mindy Project) and her daughter Laura (Tara Lynne Barr). The cast also includes Frances Conroy and Nyasha Hatendi.
In advance of its premiere on Hulu, the first two episodes of the series received an advance preview screening at the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival, as part of the festival’s new Primetime platform of selected television projects.
- Michaela Watkins (Transparent) as Valerie, a successful shrink divorcing her husband after finding him with a younger woman.
- Tommy Dewey (The Mindy Project) as Alex, Valerie’s younger brother who co-founded the popular dating site Snooger
- Tara Lynne Barr as Laura, Valerie’s teenage daughter
- Nyasha Hatendi as Leon
- Frances Conroy (Six Feet Under, How I Met Your Mother, American Horror Story) as Dawn, Valerie and Alex’s mother
Guest and recurring
- Fred Melamed (House of Lies, Benched) as Charles, Valerie and Alex’s hedonistic father
- Evan Crooks (Awkward, The Carrie Diaries) as Emile, Laura’s boyfriend
- Julie Berman (General Hospital, Chicago Med) as Leia, Valerie’s assistant
- Patrick Heusinger (Gossip Girl, Royal Pains) as Michael, Laura’s photography teacher
- Zak Orth (Revolution) as Drew, Valerie’s ex-husband
- Eliza Coupe (Scrubs, Happy Endings, Benched) as Emmy, Alex’s free-spirited romantic interest
- Katie Aselton (The League, Togetherness) as Jennifer