Brooklyn Nine-Nine is an American action comedy television series that airs on FOX. Set in the fictional 99th Precinct of the New York City Police Department in Brooklyn, the single-camera series follows a precinct team of detectives and a newly appointed captain. It premiered on September 17, 2013 as part of the 2013–14 American television season. The series’ premiere garnered 6.17 million viewers.
The main actors are:
- Andy Samberg (Cuckoo) as Detective Jake Peralta, a talented but childish detective. It is revealed that his father abandoned him and his mother when he was very young.Peralta shows “class clown” traits, constantly pulling pranks and making jokes at the expense of his colleagues, particularly his partner Santiago; this is later revealed to be secret romantic feelings for her, which he confessed to her in the first season finale. Despite his fun-loving traits, Peralta has the best arrest rate in the precinct. His frequent disregard for decorum and protocol regularly puts him at odds with the by-the-book Captain Holt, though the two eventually develop a mutual professional respect for each other.
- Andre Braugher (Homicide: Life on the Street, Men of a Certain Age) as Captain Ray Holt, the 99th Precinct’s strict new Commanding Officer. Holt is known for his cold and robotic manner of speaking and lack of outwardly visible emotion. The Nine-Nine is Holt’s first command despite many years of outstanding service, something he attributes to prejudice against his homosexuality. Holt is married to Kevin Cozner, a university professor.
- Melissa Fumero (One Life to Live, Gossip Girl) as Detective Amy Santiago, Jake’s uptight, by-the-book, rule-following, and overachieving partner. She is continually trying to ingratiate herself with Captain Holt. She has a competitive nature stemming from having seven brothers. She is unaware of Jake’s feelings for her and frequently exasperated by his childishness, as well as the ease with which he succeeds as a detective. Santiago clandestinely smokes at times to relieve stress and is highly allergic to dogs. It is revealed that she skipped the fourth grade.
- Joe Lo Truglio (Community, How I Met Your Mother) as Detective Charles Boyle, a nervous, clumsy but honest and hard-working detective who has a crush on Detective Diaz. He is divorced from his wife, who had numerous affairs during their marriage. He is also a huge, unapologetic foodie, maintaining a weekly Brooklyn pizza-ranking email and often relishing bizarre foreign cuisine that disgusts his coworkers. For saving Detective Diaz’s life during the Christmas episode, he was awarded a Medal of Valor in “The Bet” episode.
- Stephanie Beatriz (Modern Family) as Detective Rosa Diaz, a smart, tough, and mysterious detective. She attended parochial school, later studied ballet, and was a classmate of Jake’s in the police academy. Though Diaz is a loyal and effective member of the squad, her anger management issues and lack of empathy terrify most of her coworkers. She is highly secretive about her personal life.
- Terry Crews (The Newsroom, Are We There Yet?) as Detective Sergeant Terence “Terry” Jeffords, the detective squad’s leader. An avid bodybuilder, Terry is devoted to his wife and two young daughters, and fears the danger of police work because of the possibility that he could leave his children fatherless. Following a panic attack prior to the show’s run, Terry was removed from field work, but has since cautiously returned. He is high-strung and prone to nervous excitement, but is an effective and caring leader to the detective squad. It is revealed in the series pilot episode that Terry was seriously overweight prior to his bodybuilding obsession.
- Chelsea Peretti (Parks and Recreation) as Administrator Gina Linetti, the 99th Precinct’s sardonic administrator and Captain Holt’s assistant. She belongs to a dance troupe called “Floorgasm”. She has displayed a penchant for kleptomania, extreme narcissism, specifically sharp, confused intellect, financially savvy, but is generally regarded as harmless yet annoyingly aloof by the rest of the staff. She is also childhood friends with Jake, who got her the job at the precinct.