Broad City is an American sitcom created by Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson, who also star as the series leads, and was developed from their web series of the same name that was produced from 2009 to 2011. Amy Poehler (Parks & Recreation) is one of Broad City’s executive producers, and appeared in the webseries finale. The series premiered on Comedy Central on January 22, 2014.
Broad City follows Ilana and Abbi, two Jewish women in their twenties, who experience misadventures of carelessness and frivolity in New York City. Ilana seeks to avoid working as much as possible while pursuing her relentless hedonism, and Abbi tries to make a career as an illustrator, often getting sidetracked into Ilana’s schemes.
- Ilana Glazer as Ilana Wexler, a twenty-three-year-old slacker and marijuana enthusiast who is often oblivious to (or apathetic about) how others react to her self-absorbed antics. She works at a nondescript sales company called Deals Deals Deals, but rarely does any work and often takes breaks lasting hours. She is disdained by her coworkers because of her lazy attitude, but her passive boss Todd keeps her employed due to his submissiveness. She lives with an immigrant named Jaimé and has a persisting sexual relationship with her and Abbi’s friend Lincoln (a dentist). Although Ilana regards this relationship as “purely physical” (much to Lincoln’s dismay), she often exhibits genuine caring for him. Compared to her best friend Abbi she is more free-spirited and sexually liberated, but every escapade has unintended consequences—which usually impact Abbi, who is reluctantly dragged into Ilana’s schemes.
- Abbi Jacobson as Abbi Abrams, a twenty-six-year-old who works as a lowly custodian at a fitness center called Soulstice. She hates her job and thinks she’s qualified to be a trainer, but opportunities elude her. She is also a struggling artist and dreams of quitting Soulstice to pursue art full-time. Abbi endeavors to find a balance between being a responsible, self-sufficient adult while being fun-loving and free-spirited like Ilana. She has a roommate who is never seen, although the roommate’s freeloading boyfriend Matt, called by his last name “Bevers”, is always around. She has a huge crush on her neighbor Jeremy, but manages to embarrass herself every time she’s around him. Like her best friend Ilana, she enjoys smoking marijuana, albeit less often.
- Hannibal Buress (30 Rock) as Lincoln Rice DDS – a successful pediatric dentist with whom Ilana has a recurring sexual relationship. He has romantic feelings for Ilana and wants to take the relationship to the next level, but she is unreceptive to his advances. He is a funny, easygoing guy and often plays games and tells jokes with his dental patients. He is also a loyal friend to Abbi.
- John Gemberling (Marry Me) as Matt Bevers – Abbi’s (always-absent) roommate’s boyfriend who seems to never leave. He is a messy, disgusting freeloader and a constant nuisance to Abbi. In spite of this, he has been shown to have a sweet, sensitive side, on occasion
- Stephen Schneider as Jeremy Santos – Abbi’s across-the-hall neighbor, on whom she has a big crush; he is polite and easy-going, but his mere presence reduces Abbi to nervous, regrettable behavior.
- Arturo Castro as Jaimé Castro – Ilana’s drug dealing gay roommate. Jaimé is a Venezuelan immigrant who exhibits extreme guilt over what he perceives as wrongs he has committed against his friends; however, they are usually minor transgressions.
- Paul W. Downs as Trey – Abbi’s boss at Soulstice. He is a hardcore health and fitness enthusiast. Although a nice guy, he is oblivious to Abbi’s desire to be a trainer and badgers her to clean things around the gym (running gags such as cleaning pubes or vomit in the changeroom). Paul is also a writer on Broad City, having written “Working Girls” (episode 1.3), “Knockoffs” (episode 2.4) and “Coat Check” (episode 2.9).
- Chris Gethard (Big Lake) as Todd – Ilana’s boss at the web “deal” company. He is generally submissive and ineffectual at attempting to curb Ilana’s lack of commitment to the job.
- Nicole Drespel as Nicole – Ilana’s co-worker who is a serious worker and secretly documents her activities.