Another Period is an American period sitcom created by and starring Natasha Leggero (Ugly Americans) and Riki Lindhome (Gilmore Girls, House, The Big Bang Theory, United States of Tara). It follows the lives of the Bellacourts, the first family of Newport, Rhode Island, at the turn of the 20th century. Lillian (Leggero) and Beatrice (Lindhome) are sisters “who care only about how they look, what parties they attend and becoming famous, which is a lot harder in 1902”. It is intended to be a spoof on reality shows like Keeping Up with the Kardashians, while in terms of era, roughly contemporaneous to Downton Abbey and satirizing many of the same themes of class and social standing.
The series was picked up for 10 episodes and debuted on Comedy Central on June 23, 2015. It is directed by Jeremy Konner, co-creator and writer of Drunk History. Ben Stiller’s production company Red Hour is producing. Leggero, Lindhome, and Konner are also executive producers.
The House of Bellacourt
- Natasha Leggero as Lillian Abigail Hitler Schmemmerhorn-Fish (née Bellacourt), the middle daughter, who is often seen wearing a tiara. Once left at the altar at age twelve, “the height of a woman’s sexual peak”, her subsequent loveless marriage to Victor has nonetheless produced eight “non-sons”. She’s the pretty, smart, funny, ambitious, nice body, soon-to-be-famous one.
- Riki Lindhome as Beatrice Tiffani Amber Thiessen Downsy (née Bellacourt), youngest daughter and twin sister of Frederick, of whom she is overly protective. Though outwardly ditzy, she appears to be an idiot savant with regard to mathematics and is also a talented singer. She thinks she’s the pretty one.
- Lauren Ash (Super Fun Night) as Hortense Jefferson Library Bellacourt, Lillian and Beatrice’s “weird” sister and eldest child of the Commodore and Dodo. Hortense was originally played by Artemis Pebdani in the pilot episode. Hor, as her mother and sisters often call her, is a suffragette and is a member of the Women’s Temperance League as well as the Newport Association of Gal Spinsters (N.A.G.S.).
- David Koechner (The Office, Hannah Montana) as Commodore Bellacourt (originally Harold Bellawitz, a fur trapper), the family patriarch and “magnet magnate”.
- Paget Brewster (Friends, Community, Granfathered) as Dodo Bellacourt, the family’s matriarch, who is beginning to suspect her husband may be having an affair. She is also a morphine addict.
- Brian Huskey (Children’s Hospital) as Victor Schmemmerhorn-Fish V, Lillian’s secretly gay husband, who is prone to violent rages. He married into the Bellacourt family to “stack cash”, but feels he can’t live “on a husband’s allowance”.
- Jason Ritter (The Event, Parenthood) as Lord Frederick Bellacourt, the illiterate twin brother of Beatrice, her incestuous lover, and heir to Bellacourt family fortune.
- David Wain (Children’s Hospital) as Albert Downsy, Jr., Beatrice’s secretly gay husband, who is having an affair with Victor. He is also fond of growing vegetables that resemble male genitalia.
Servants at Bellacourt Manor
- Michael Ian Black (The State) as Peepers (formerly Mitchell P. Spiritwalker), the butler, who was adopted and raised by a Native American family.
- Beth Dover as Blanche, the head housemaid with a nervous disorder.
- Brett Gelman (Go On, Married, Love) as Hamish, the outwoodsman who tends to the grounds of the mansion and performs certain other “special” duties.
- Christina Hendricks (Mad Men) as Chair (formerly Celine), a new household servant who is a former prostitute and the Commodore’s mistress.
- Armen Weitzman (Children’s Hospital, Love) as Garfield Leopold McGillicutty, the under butler/valet (and later potato scrubber) who likes to bestow names on inanimate objects.
- Roni Akurati (credited as Ronith Akurati) as Tabu, Indian boy-servant of Charles Ponzi.
- Jon Daly (Betas) as Policeman #2 (badge #4729).
- Josh Fadem as Falling Charlie, AKA Charlie Chaplin, an entertainer known for his clumsy falling routine.
- Nancy Friedrich as Cornetta, a member of N.A.G.S.
- Rich Fulcher (The Mighty Boosh) as Mark Twain, the famous author and adventurer.
- Moshe Kasher (Whitney) as Dr. Goldberg, a physician attending Albert.
- Thomas Lennon (The State, Reno 911!) as the Marquis de Sainsbury, arbiter of the “Newport 400” social registry.
- Kate Micucci (Scrubs, Raising Hope, The Big Bang Theory) as Eunice, a member of N.A.G.S.
- Missi Pyle (Jennifer Falls, Bordertown) as Celery Savoy, heiress and president of the Clambake Club, who becomes engaged to Frederick after his appointment to the U.S. Senate.
- Will Sasso (Channel Squad 1, Shameless) as Policeman #1 (badge #73).
- Betsy Sodaro (Animal Practice) as Abortion Deb, a member of N.A.G.S.
- Brent Weinbach as Scoops LaPue, society reporter/gossip columnist for the Newport Looky-Loo newspaper.